Confession 1: I adore carrot cake. Confession 2: I absolutely love pancakes for breakfast! Not really the most common breakfast in the Netherlands, but ever since trying once i have fell in love! Warm and comforting and delicious, what’s not to love?! I usually make the same two recipes (the indulgent version and a more healthier version) but when i found this recipe i decided this was a must try! Sounded like a match made in heaven (and it is)!
Maybe not the healthiest choice, but for this one we trick ourselves by thinking it might be a little healthy because of the carrots and the spelt flour 🙂
I found this recipe online and was originally by Joy the Baker and i adapted it a little to my taste.
Carrot (cake) pancakes
Makes aprox. 10 to 12 pieces
- 180 gr spelt flour (or whole wheat flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda (bicarbonaat)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 egg (large)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 240 ml milk
- 1 tablespoon lemonjuice
- 1 bag (15 grams) vanilla sugar
- 500gr (2 cups) finely grated carrots (i grate them in my kitchen machine, and then grind them with a blade to make them really small but not into pulp,so they will be well cooked in the pancakes)
- butter, for baking
- 100 gr cream cheese
- 15 gr vanilla sugar
- a dash of ground cinnamon (to taste)
- if you prefer a little sweeter topping; add a little fine (powdery) sugar to taste (don’t add too much at once)
if needed; a little milk depending on desired consistencyHOW TO:
- Mix the milk and lemon juice together and let it sit for a few minutes
- Preheat the oven to 100 C, so you can keep the pancakes warm before serving.
- Get the cream cheese out of the fridge at room temperature to soften.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.
- In another bowl, whisk together the egg, sugar, buttermilk and vanilla sugar.
- Add the carrots to the flour mix and then add the milk mixture into the dry mixture. Stir until evenything is mixed together and let it sit for a few minutes.
- For the topping: whisk the cream cheese in a small bowl until it is soft and creamy and easy to stir (if needed you could add a little milk). Mix in the vanilla sugar and a little cinnamon to taste (just add a little ad a time and taste; don’t ad too much at once). If you prefer a sweeter cream you could add a little powdered sugar to taste.
- Then onto the baking! Melt some butter in a pan and add a big scoop. Depending ion your pain size there will fit about four pancakes in a pan. I squash the batter a little to spread it out evenly. Bake them on a medium heat and flip (as little as possible) until the pancakes are golden on both sides.
- Place the pancakes in a baking dish in the oven to keep them warm while you cook the remaining pancakes.
- Serve with the creamcheese topping!
PS: I froze my leftovers; i will let you know how that turned out!
Have you tried this recipe? Let me know what you think! Do you think it is as heavenly is i do?